Thursday, March 20, 2008

Congratulations, it's a Rutabega!

Ah...the internet. Many of you know my love/hate relationship with this beast, namely my lack of trust in most information stored on its countless servers. I mean, if I can post anything up here, ANYONE can. And, wow...if you want to feel confused, guilty, angry, happy, perplexed, and, ultimately, overwhelmed, just try googling for baby info on the internet. There is some stuff that's pretty interesting, and harmless, really. Such as the fact tha1t Baby D is the size of a rutabega right now- 16" long and about 1.5 lbs. (I'm not sure I've ever actually noted the last time I've seen a rutabega in person, so here is a visual:)

But there are so many other things out there as well that are so destructive to an already sensitive mind. No two sites (or books, for that matter) contain the same info or recommendations, in fact, most of them contradict themselves! It makes me wonder if, information-wise, we're better off now than 100 years ago. Medically speaking, we're light years ahead (ask my parents sometime about the children's cardiac care unit they took Chip to 28 years ago...here's a hint...it didn't exist). Something tells me, though, that it will all work out, and that there is something ingrained in parents-to-be that just kicks in. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

amandyanderson said...

although I'm not pregnant myself I have spent hours reading and listening to different people say completely opposing opinions (strong opinions at that) on what to do when pregnant,what to expect when expecting, how to raise kids, how to sit, how to eat, how to sleep and I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to actually BE in that position hearing and reading all the different advice!!

I'll be praying that you don't get overwhelmed with the over-informed books and internet and are able to determine what choices you want to make for yourself and baby D :).

And thanks for the rutabega pic, I've never seen one either ;)

Mandi said...

how the hell has the human race survived without all these smarty pants books, articles, psychiatrist/psychologists, blah, blah, blah....not to sound trite, but i think you have the best advice-giver living inside you--the holy spirit! i know that sounds so corny, but man, having a baby makes you appreciate the holy spirit! my relationship with god has become stronger than it's ever been because i had a child. whenever i get freaked out wondering if i'm messing something or him up, god gently reminds me that he loves ezra more than i could ever love ezra. that usually very quickly calms down the freak-out. and in the end, ezra is god's anyway. michael and i are simply stewards of this amazing gift! i know that you and nick have dedicated and will continue to dedicate this whole experience to god. god's got it goin' on. he delights in using us despite our ignorance. it's how he gets the glory.

and god's people said...amen...holy crap...am i a pastor or what, here? oy...