Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool...

There's this little hormone that gets released during pregnancy called Relaxin. Basically, what it does is softens the muscles and ligaments in the body, preparing it for the Incredible Hulk-scale expansions in store for it over the next few months. (I personally think this is the least serious medical term ever created.) I can hear those doctors now,

"What should we call this new-found hormone"
"What does it do?"
"Uh...it relaxes."
"How about relaxin?"

Clearly not Rocket Surgeons.

Well, I have started to experience the "relaxing" effects of this creatively-challenged hormone. As you may have known, I am just now recovering from a monster cold unlike anything I have ever experienced. It lasted for 2 weeks, for one of which I couldn't speak, with a cough that must have woken up the neighborhood. It was wild. Well, during one of these coughing fits, I threw out something in my back, thanks to being all chilled out and relaxed by the pregnancy. No biggie, though, pulled muscle...it was almost healed when I coughed again lightly last night and something popped. Now my entire right side is on fire and I fear laughter, coughing, yawning, breathing, and - worst of all - sneezing. I'm not trying to make more out of this than what it is, though - it's just a pulled muscle created by my loose, relaxed muscles, and it will heal.

(An Aside, if you will. I must point out that, while I might be in a bit of back pain, my brother-in-law, Greg is currently suffering from a herniated disc and on two weeks of couch rest and physical therapy before a possible back surgery. I am absolutely convinced that he is way more pain that I will be throughout my pregnancy and into labor and delivery. So, please, keep him in your prayers his way, and pray that his therapists and doctors will be able to provide him with pain relief and a complete and speedy recovery!)

My adamant protest at my current state centers around the fact that a pregnancy hormone called RELAXIN has me now all tight and wound up and fearing breathing. I think those brilliant doctors need to head back to the drawing boards and come up with a better - and more inventive - name for this hormone.

5 comments:

daniel fox said...

i love this. relaxin + rocket surgeons reminds me that you ARE in fact one of the sharpest wits i know (surrounded by 5 more of the sharpest wits most of the time too)

it's not fair. someone needs to do a goose wit diaspora.

Mandi said...

i am so sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable...that is no fun. i injured myself 2 times when i was pregnant and it SUCKS! i pulled a muscle deep inside my chest when i was about 5 months along and had to be put on pain meds that made me puke and kept me in bed. all that to say, i can definitely empathize and you will continue to be in my prayers!

Greg said...

I will make no challenge as to the pain of child birth, I'm sure that's a whole different world of pain. Not to stress you out or anything...

Kimberlee said...

laugh! this post is GREAT beth! (aside from the news of greg...feel better greg! so sorry to hear of your injury!) this exact same thing happened to me while i was pregnant, so i can attest that you are not at all exaggerating about the pain. even the slightest breath seemed to hurt, and my husband, supportive as ever, thought it eternally funny to make me laugh and watch as i desperately tried not to move any muscle and typically ended up in some sort of laugh/cry fit. ha ha. anyway, it does go away, so hang in there!

Thursday said...

Back at the drawing board....

"How about 'stressin'?"

"Oooo, that's genius!"