Saturday, February 02, 2008

Beth Goes to the Store

Today Nick and I stopped by a baby furniture store here in Columbus to check out some nursery bits, then we headed to Trader Tots, a children's, teen, and maternity resale shop. It had tons of almost-new clothes and toys, and we spent a good half an hour oooing and ahhing over all the baby-sized shirts and pants. We couldn't believe how inexpensive things were there! We'll definitely be back, although we're not too concerned that our child will be wanting for clothes and toys...

Then we headed to the mall to price other nursery furniture and I finally got up the courage to head into a Motherhood Maternity store, which was my first time in an actual maternity shop. I had heard horror stories of pushy saleswomen, lines of shirts in a rainbow of pastel, and exorbitant prices. I was ready! I was just going to stop in and maybe grab one pair of jeans (only if they were on double clearance), not talk to anyone, and get out of there.

But I had a very different experience. I walked in and was greeted by a friendly saleswoman (who thankfully did NOT do the all-too-familiar glance-down tummy-check), and she asked me if I needed anything. I told her I wanted to look for some jeans. She asked me if I liked the tummy-panel to ride over my tummy, across the middle, or under it. I let her know this was my first time in a maternity clothes store, so I really had no idea.

Then, for the next 30 minutes, she took me under her wing and explained how maternity clothes worked, a few basics everyone usually likes to have, how maternity underwear works (which, despite having asked no fewer than a half-dozen of my friends, still remained a mystery to me), and helped me choose a few things to try on. I didn't feel pressured, or weirded out, or uncomfortable. (Even when she showed me the velcro-strap stuffed baby-bump that automatically adds 3 months onto your belly so you can try clothes on over it...and that's enough to weird ANYONE out!)

So I tried some stuff on, and liked some and didn't like others. She...Joanne...was there the whole time, making sure I had the right fit for my shape and that I was comfortable in everything. But there was still the issue of price, which of course was going to be over and above anything I could ever afford...but wait! Hold on a minute! $24.95 for a pair of jeans? $6.99 for a polo shirt? That's cheaper than Target or Old Navy, my old standbys! (And, as I've found out time and time again, I'm CONVINCED that those stores' clothing is built to self-destruct and fall apart in about 9 months, anyway.)

I left Motherhood Maternity with a few pairs of jeans, underwear, and some polo shirts, none of which were pastel, and all of which will grow with me over the next 4 months, and then into the post-pregnancy as I lose my belly. I was delightfully surprised! Now, I am sure we will run into many times when we balk at the price of kid stuff, but this wasn't one of them. Babies cost money...this one started racking up bills WAY before conception!...but we knew that when we got into this!

(That said, bring on the hand-me-downs!)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We got you covered with the hand-me-downs. No problem. My guess is you really won't need them though (at least not for the 1st year or so!). You'll be amazed at how much STUFF your baby will get. Number one always makes out pretty well!

Kimberlee said...

we would be happy to pass on hand-me-downs! oh wait... there is the issue of gender, i suppose. maybe we could just start out baby boy D on the progressive track right away! he can be comfortable and confident in his masculinity sporting his pink, frilly layettes!

The Heddens said...

Well, it looks like the Dekkers and the Heddens have some things in common. We both lived in Columbus. We both attended OSU. We both have been involved in theatre and..... we both are having babies this summer!! Becky is due August 3rd. Check us out at theheddenfamily.blogspot.com

We miss you guys!

Mandi said...

you know, i had this exact same experience! i was VERY pleasantly surprised by motherhood maternity! mostly by their prices. you think specialty store=high prices and boy, have i never been more glad to be wrong! i bought some GREAT nursing bras there!

and, yes, we have lots of boy stuff and right in the perfect season since our little guys are going to be exactly a year apart!

oh, and another pleasant surprise for me was oldnavy.com. i get all of ezra's clothes there. we have consignment stores that i go to if i need something and can't wait to get it in the mail, but, old navy always has an in-season clearance section and i can usually end up getting brand new things from there for about a dollar or two more than the consignment stores! and you can get free shipping if you spend so much (which i usually buy for the next 2 sizes) and their reg. shipping is like lightning speed! i actually got the e-mail confirm. for my order once after i had already gotten the order in the mail! the distribution center is in northern kentucky so we're very close! anyway! sorry for the LONG comment, but i just like to pass on useful stuff! hope you are well! you are in my prayers daily!