Thursday, September 21, 2006

Whether Weather or Not

God and I are in a fight. Well, to be more specific, I'm being a huge baby about something, and God is waiting for me to stop whining.

For most of my life, I have pretended to be OK when the skys open up and pour a deluge of cold, mean rain on an important event. I have been able to rationalize myself out of it, and even pulled strings to just "make it work." I understand "you need to have a rain plan" more than most. It will all turn out fine. Pictures look better when it's cloudy. It's good luck. It looks like it's lightening up. It'll pass.

But I'm not OK with it. In fact, this, more than anything, is something I simply cannot understand. And I don't think that this is a lack of faith in God. I think it is an excessive faith in God. Weather is easy. Weather is peanuts. Weather is a flicker of light. God can handle weather.

But so often, he doesn't. So often, when an event or business or joy or fun or fellowship or excitement or visitors or whatever depend on it, I look at it as a direct affront to that moment.

Maybe I shouldn't consider it a problem, or an issue, or even something to write about...because "you can't change the weather!" But God CAN! So, is my problem my excessive faith in God, or that I need to just deal with yet another event being drowned?

1 comment:

Thursday said...

"Excessive faith in God"... you made me laugh. :)

I once heard a pastor pose this question: If we believe in the sovereignty of God, and that He works all things out for good, then why do we complain about the weather? This question comes to mind a lot for me.

I also try to use "bad weather" times to think about people who aren't me. Like farmers. Those good ol' farmers. It would be easier to think of them if I KNEW any, but I try to think about how happy the good ol' farmers are when it's raining.

Also, possibly you need to think about why you feel the need to leave the comfort of buildings.