Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Introducing Maeby Ray Magic!

Well, yesterday we added another member to our little family, in the way of an eight-week old Yellow Labrador Retriever! After a number of years of talking and praying about it, we decided it was time for a little discipline! And, boy, did we get it! She's a very good dog, very smart, and such a flirt!



We have talked a lot about treating her like a dog, instead of a daughter, so we're not going to call us "mom" and "dad," and try not to spoil her! But...we couldn't resist a cute little pink collar and leash!



She comes from quite a lineage of Labs- we recieved a 3 generation AKC litter certificate with her purchase. Some of these names crack me up! Her parents were Brutus Buckeye Boy and Sloopy Bethel Wenning, and some of her grandparents were Fast Fearless Fred of Wabash, Drooping Daisie in the Woods, Ike's Pride Kock D'Kreme, and Big Bad Buster Brown VI! You can't make up names like this! We wanted to give her a name worthy of such ancestors! Therefore, Maeby Ray Magic! Maeby is a nickname for Mae (and a character from Arrested Development), Ray is the name her breeders called her- and we wanted to honor them in that this was the last of a litter of 10 to give away, and it was very hard for them. Magic is in honor of my family's Black Lab, whose full name was Buddy Black Magic. He was a great dog, and had to be put to sleep a number of years ago. He's one of the reasons we wanted a lab!



Our first night with her was good- even though one of us was up every two hours to take her outside- but she really liked her kennel and was very good otherwise. We've gotten so much advice on having a dog; it seems like everyone has had a completely different experience! I've had stacks of books in my hand, each one saying something opposite the one before! We're trying to use information that specifically targets Labs, and we're being very strict with her.



She's going to be a huge dog- you can tell by her paws! And, we're having fun so far! She's a real sweetheart and we can't wait for everyone to meet her!

8 comments:

Carl Meyer said...

Let me be the first to comment on Maybe. Mom and I are thrilled that she is part of your family! For all; we have had two labs and both were great. One great story about Buddy (Maybe's namesake..). He barked at unfamiliar cars driving down our long driveway. If he knew the car, or UPS truck, he wouldn' bark. He would be able to identify the driver of a familar car and if a different driver was in the car, bark, bark. Even if a different UPS driver was in the usual brown truck! The usual drive would have dog biscuits in the usual place for Buddy and he would hop in before the truck stopped and go for the treat.
He was good dog. I hope Maybe is as well.
Dad

The Heddens said...

Oh...my...goodness! Cant speak. Overcome by the cuteness. Congrats on your baby...ooops! I mean puppy.

Karl Boettcher said...

Very Cute, and photogenic also, which is a plus I think.

Morgan said...

That is a really freakin cute dog. I've always wanted to get a lab, as they are the cutest puppies on the planet. Well, I can't wait to meet her.

Beth said...

Morgan, maybe you can meet her when you next visit...oh, yeah...

:)

Jessie said...

My favorite picture is the SLEEPY one! Perhaps the least telling about this particular pup's personality, but that remains to be seen. I hope you guys get some sleep the next couple nights!

Carl Meyer said...

I have been laughing like a undermedicated mental patient when I realized a truth about dogs (having had four including two labs a retarded irish setter and some farm dog that likes to bite kids). That truth is: you can judge with confidence the size of an adult dog's stool (that would be poop) to be the size they are at eight weeks of age. I know that is grotesque to be sure, however, with my new job (Medical Director of Quality) I am faced with other very important observations like that on a regular basis.
....I'll take my pills now. Dad

Beth said...

Dad! Take your meds!

:)