Monday, October 31, 2005

Hocking Hills

So, yesterday, Nick and I enjoyed the absolute PEAK of the Ohio Fall Color Season hiking in Hocking Hills. It is a gorgeous bit of land just Southeast of Columbus an hour that reminds one more of Maine or Oregon. And, to those of you who think that Ohio is nothing but cornfields...shame on you! You simply have to visit Hocking Hills!

We started our hike in a place called Conkle's Hollow, where you park at this small "rock climbing and rappelling area" lot. We got out of the car and heard...nothing. It was just luscious. Growing up in a small town, I was very used to the quiet, but have since gotten away from that conditioning. I forgot how much I loved it; it was just wonderful. We walked into a very unassuming woodsy area, across a tipsy bridge and into some brush. About 1/4 mile in, it got very dark and shaded, and it dawned on us that we were heading alone into a Hollow between two very high cliffs. We noticed things moving high on the cliffs and realized they were rock climbers! We watched them for a bit, waiting to see if I would have to utilize my emergency belaying skills, and then headed out, feeling rejuvenated and healthy. Fresh air does that do you.

Then we headed to a place called "Old Man's Cave," which is, by far, the most visited place in Hocking Hills. (It's actually not a cave at all, but a gorge carved out over the years, creating a 2-football field wide 1/2 umbrella-shaped recess in the limestone.) We just had no idea how "visited" it was. We pulled into the parking lot where HUNDREDS of cars carrying a THOUSAND people had parked as well. We followed the masses into the gorge, and headed down the steep steps. It was really beautiful, I'll give you that, but there is something distressing about marveling at a natural rock formation at the same time as 2000 other people. I just can't do it; watching people snap pictures of the beauty of creation a few moments after they have flung a cigarette butt into the rocks just hits me wrong.

Anyway, we quickly headed to a place called "Rock House" (which just had us singing "Brick House" most of the hike), and Nick FINALLY got to climb into an actual, honest-to-goodness cave. It was pretty cool, but, once again...people.

Is it just me or do hordes of people just muck stuff up sometimes, particularity with natural wonders? It is very hard for me to distance myself from them and view God's Creation separately--something I strive to do often, unfortunately. But, I suppose that's the point. People, all shapes, sizes, colors, with all sorts of sins, vices, and...smells...are an integral part of Creation. To enjoy it means enjoying all of it...because, essentially, Creation IS Christ. It comprises HIM, HE keeps it together, quite literally. I won't get all "American Beauty" on everyone, but next time I'm staring at something beautiful while standing in a crowd of people, I'm going to TRY to view the crowd as part of the beautiful thing I'm experiencing. We'll see how I do...

3 comments:

Karl Boettcher said...

I hope you are able to include people in the wonder of God's creation. For me it is hard. People are supposed to take care of this world, but we seem to just take it. Not that I have a problem with building cities and roads, and using creation in positive ways, but littering, clear-cutting forests and strip mining..... these things make me ill.

Carl Meyer said...

I think this blog thing is a super way to commune! I hope you don't mind my intrusion into this little world with my thoughts. It has been fun to read Beth and friends these past weeks. I want to write something of literary merit, however, with this head cold all I can think about is finding another box of tissues.
...Pink collar?

Thursday said...

My parents and brother hate being around crowds. I am sort of where you are on the continuum--trying to remember that humans are the final act of Creation and are more precious to God than all the beautiful scenery. It can be hard to remember, but it is good to remember, especially since to everyone else I am one of the people cluttering up the landscape. All those hundreds of people enjoying the same view with you...who knows how many we'll end up seeing again when this world is over?