Friday, November 04, 2005

A Mental Picture Gift

So, one of the things about puppy training that anyone will tell you is that punishment and yelling don't work, but praise works wonders (I could take that to a whole other metaphysical level, but I'll spare you). So, most books say, make a HUGE deal out of a puppy doing something right. I have imagined a few times what it would sound like to get help on this issue. ***Ring...Ring..."Hello? Rockettes? Yes, I was wondering how much it would cost to hire a few dancing girls to perform a celebratory kickline every time my dog takes a dump..."***

I give you: Beth celebrating this blessed event...

I got up two nights ago to take Maeby out. (I have this incessant fear that her tiny, acorn-sized bladder is going to explode...) So, there I am, at 3:45 AM, in front of our house, in slippers, PJ pants and a t-shirt, waiting for this little dog to crap. A minute goes by...two minutes...three minutes...then, she goes! Well, I am just so thrilled that I can get back into bed, but remember that I have to praise her, so I proceed to clap and jump up and down and coo "Good DOG, Maeby, Good dog! Outside! Good Dog!" for like a minute solid. I'm petting her, and talking all high and cuddling her, and then, all at once, I realize I am making a HUGE amount of noise at 3 in the morning, and I should probably go back inside...but not before I think what this must have looked like to our neighbors, should they have been awakened by my celebration of the early morning dump of my little dog.

So, there. A Mental Picture. Merry Christmas from me to you.

No comments: