Monday, October 24, 2005

Changing Jobs...

So, tonight I find myself OVERJOYED for one of my dear friends and a move she has made to rid herself of a job that was weighing down her life, time, and heart. I can finally write about Caitlin and what an amazing event planner, floral designer and person I think she is, now that the "secret" is out and she has quit her job. I know I have spoken to many of you about her as one of my coworkers at my last job, and one of the most talented people I have met. I was skeptical of "floral designers" before I met her; I mean, how hard can it be to put flowers into a vase? But then I saw Caitlin create a floral arrangement for the first time; she turned flowers into pure art! (And then I tried to "put flowers into a vase" and realized just HOW hard it was to do so...) I am so happy that she is moving on! Now she is free of her job, her boss and the amazing toll it has taken on her life and stress level, and on to a completely different company and job!

This got me thinking about quitting and leaving jobs in general. I have never quit a job- I was usually hired for a specific amount of time, was moving out of state, or let go (ironically from the same company Caitlin just quit). But I think the feelings are similar- depending on your affinity to the job in question.

Any time you change surroundings that are embedded into your subconscious, it aches. It rarely feels good- even if it's something you want! I have left jobs I HATED with a passion, and it was still uncomfortable for a few days. Your mind and body have gotten used to driving to that place, sitting in that chair, seeing those people. It has become like a second skin, or a comfortable pair of shoes. When that is removed, no one can prepare you for it. Whether you rip it off like a band-aid, or take it masochistically slow, it can feel like a shedding of skin, or opening a wound. And you're plunging into the unknown! When does that feel good?

As long as we keep telling ourselves that it is for the better- no matter the circumstances: clearly we were no longer supposed to be at that job. We must keep reminding ourselves that we are not in control of it! And God is not going to give us more than we can handle.

No comments: