Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

11 years ago this Thanksgiving day, my parents and sister Katie flew to Arkhangel'sk, Russia to retrieve my twin sisters and brother. They were legally made part of our family on December 10th, 1997. My parents' friend and pastor wrote this in celebration 11 years ago tomorrow. I thought everyone would like to read it!


"Adoption"

Scripture: Ephesians 1:4-5 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will--

This Thanksgiving week is "National Adoption Week". Coincidentally, I have two very dear friends who are preparing to leave tomorrow for Archangleus, Russia, for the purpose of adopting three siblings!

I have often thought about the love that would compel someone to such an act: to claim as their own blood relative a son or daughter of another. In some ways, it is very hard for me to imagine.

Children, while being a joy and blessing, are a great liability (Allow me to play "devil's advocate" for just a moment…). On many occasions I have commented on how my own children have simplified my life: those nagging questions about what I would do with my extra time and money vanished with their birth! From before birth, and throughout their lives, children are a constant source of concern for their parents. Why would anyone want to adopt a child?

I believe the answer to that question is found in our own Creation. When God formed man from the dust of the earth, He did so "in His own image". Our natural proclivity toward parenting is the result of the Father's own imprinting of that desire upon our psyche.

While some have looked at adoption askance, I have come to admire it as one of the greatest expressions of selfless love! For a natural parent to surrender a child for adoption (in the hope that a better life for the child may result ) , is an unbelievable act of sacrificial love. For someone to adopt that child and raise them as their own, is yet another act of sacrificial love!

I am an adopted child myself. Not in the physical sense, but in regard to the spirit. I was once lost in my own sin, doomed to destruction. Just when I was most helpless, Jesus provided the means for me to be adopted into God's Royal Family. Through my acceptance of His sacrifice, I have been purchased from my slavery to sin and have become His "blood" relative.

This Thanksgiving will be a special time for my friends travelling to Russia (Carl, Kathy, and their daughter Katie). They will rescue three children from despair and give them a chance at a new life (please pray for them ).

This Thanksgiving is a special time for all of us who have benefited from the rescue mission of Christ when He traveled from heaven to bring us a new life. My hope and prayer is that you and yours are counted among that number.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Coming from a family with two adopted siblings, I really enjoyed reading this. I can't imagine life without my brother and sister.

Lisa said...

This is beautifully written. Thank you for sharing it!

Kurt said...

Wow, thank you for sharing, Beth. I hadn't heard that before and it is proof that words can be such a sweet gift. What a great friend!

Hope you're well and thanks again!

anjeanette said...

Hooray! Cuz I'm adopted! So it makes me happy!