Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ambush

Most of you know I have a pretty cool job - I run a few companies for Paul Robinett, an internet celebrity and entrepreneur from here in Columbus. He hired me 3 years ago to organize his life and manage some stuff he was doing, including a boutique candle shop he owns. It's been great fun, and I've been able to surround myself with family and friends doing it.

But what if God has other plans? What if there are other things for someone like me to restore, organize, and grow? How does He orchestrate ripping me from a job I love without me rebelling...as I am so wont to do? Well, He ambushes me out of the blue.

In what can only be described as an World-Class Ambush Job Interview during a sunny afternoon social visit, I received a job offer last Wednesday from Patrick Crawford of Spindle Studios, a graphic design firm here in Columbus. Patrick designed the fabulous Wild Goose Creative logo, and is also an associate pastor of our church. Robin Oatts who designed the Goose website (and took Will's pics) is a designer there as well. I was very familiar with Spindle, who just moved into our neighborhood - literally 1 block south of our house. Patrick offered me the position of Studio Manager, where I would provide organization, management, and business growth to this already-thriving company.

Nick and I were surprised at the emotional nature of this decision. For six years, the candle shop has been a huge part of our Columbus experience - our first apartment was located 3 floors above it, and at least one of us has been working there for 5 years now. Paul is a great boss, and has been an amazing friend and true inspiration since I've known him. Managing Renetto is challenging, fun and exciting, and is owned by Paul and Steve and Dave, three great guys with awesome ideas! How can we possibly make this decision?

Through many tears, conversations, and prayers, Nick and I simply tried to see where the path was leading. And this time, it led away from my comfort zone and in a new direction, testing my loyalty, faith, and trust. I accepted the position at Spindle and am SO excited at the thought of this new job. This company is so incredible, and Patrick, Robin, and the other folks are uber-talented and just plain cool. We know this is the right choice, without a doubt, but I will miss what I have worked so hard at for the past three years. However, now I get to further hone my skills and use my talents to serve at another amazing business. Bring it on!

5 comments:

Thursday said...

Called from something you love to something else you love...what a terrific tough decision to make! This is the kind of ambush I need to remember. Enjoy the new challenges!

Lisa said...

Ambushed -- who knew the business world could be so violent! I'm glad to hear that you have found a new adventure to start and that you are excited about the new opportunities you will have. We will pray that your transition is smooth and that this job will enable you to have the time you need and want with your family as well as the benefits of personal satisfaction and fulfillment.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!

Kurt said...

Holy business!!! Beth, I'm so stoked for you on this new adventure. It obviously sounds like you've been able to step back and really think about and pray for God's will.

We're totally praying for you and I know that you're going to do great. You are one who succeeds at whatever you try and this is going to be another experience that fits in that into that same category.

Best wishes and keep us posted... CONGRATS!!!

Morgan said...

Congrats! I wish you the best!