Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Baby Stuff Hilarity

Nick and I are going through the process of registering at various baby places because, well, I guess it's the thing to do! I've always found registering a little strange, but the BABY registry process is absolutely hysterical. We went to Babies 'R' Us on Sunday, sat at their giant specially-made-for-the-registry-process-desk, got our registry packet and scan gun (which is the ONLY reasons Dads tag along for this) and sent us on our way!

As we headed towards the WALL of baby bottles and breast pumps, Nick and I just started laughing. I can't believe that they would expect two childless adults who have spent the last 6.5 years together, traveling, getting graduate degrees, hanging out with other childless friends, starting arts organizations, to know what the heck a NUK is...or the proper way to store and freeze breast milk, or what bottle nipple is most soothing, or what baby proofing equipment is necessary, or why fancy Boppy covers cost $40, or what a layette is/are, or why my infant needs a bath robe when I don't even own one, or why baby washcloths come in 8-packs.

Other couples came in, grabbed scan guns (wielded by the father, of course), and headed confidently to various departments, sure of the crib skirt they wanted, the right Bumbo seat color to match their nursery and the perfect Baby Einstein video to make their infant's brain swell with imagination. I just laughed and started pointing at stuff that looked cool and Nick scanned away. (A note here about Nick- even though he did admit to LOVING the scan gun - who doesn't - he was absolutely awesome the whole time! I think he had more fun than I did!)

So, I apologize if you take a look at our Babies 'R' Us registry and it doesn't make any sense. It was created by childless parents who have no idea what they're doing. :)

We did, however, also register at Amazon.com, because the book selection at Babies 'R' Us was PATHETIC and their Pat the Bunny book cover did NOT even have a soft bunny to pat on it! And they only had dumbed-down versions of Dr. Seuss books. I repeat, they carried DUMBED DOWN VERSIONS OF DR. SEUSS BOOKS. I didn't think that was physically possible. Amazon has a great selection of everything else under the sun, including great natural toys, furniture, the Flip video camera, and other awesome baby stuff. So, hopefully we'll be able to navigate that page a bit better!

6 comments:

Thursday said...

If you think you have to make Dr. Seuss more child-friendly, you clearly are not expecting much of your child.

Also...what is the POINT of Pat the Bunny without a fuzzy bunny??

Babies 'R' Us stores are frightening. Walking into a Babies 'R' Us store as an unmarried woman gives me pretty close to the same feeling I used to get walking down a liquor aisle before I turned 21--that I had no business in such a place and that I had no CLUE about the things on the shelves.

Finally, if the two of you can't find ways to swell Baby D's creative center without popping in a mass-marketed video, I will be a little disappointed.

The Heddens said...

Amen, sister! Jason and I had to make an initial run to figure out all the big stuff, then came back a second time to actually physically register, and then got so overwhelmed with the small stuff (bottles, pumps, bathtubs that look like whales) that it wasn't quite as fun as the first time. it left me feeling really inadequate as a future parent. i have a theatre degree for crying out loud! the closest I got to parenting classes in college was doing "Baby with the Bathwater", which is probably not the model play on how to raise a little one. LOL.
Becky

Jessie said...

I just looked at your registry! That IS random. Awesome! I think I can get right behind that ball with all the tags on it.

And I have to say, I was more than a little angry to hear that Pat the Bunny is only theoretical now. Karl can tell you, I had a bit of a Karl-style rant about it. Babies need TEXTURE, people.

Beth said...

I KNOW! Now, Pat the Bunny was also hermetically sealed in a little plastic wrapped box, so the "texture" might have been hiding from wandering hands, but who's to know!?

A travesty, I tell you! :)

Unknown said...

Everything I know about baby products I learned from Amazon reviews. I never dared register at Babies R Us either.
I have the Flip video camera. So if you want an idea of the quality just take a look at our videos.

Mandi said...

yay for flip videos! we LOVE ours! it is PERFECT! we just used ours today (and every other day of our lives!) to "flip out" (a new verb we've come up with for what we do when we use the flip video to record--it's appropriate on so many levels) while ezra experienced his first swing and merry-go-round at the park! just awesome!