Monday, March 10, 2008

Bag 1: Loom Bandicoot with Joey Clutch

Check out the previous post if you're new to the Diaper Bag Obsession!

Overview:
Our first bag is one by a company called Loom, which also makes a variety of family bags. They clearly know what they're doing. This bag is durable; water and stain resistant inside and out with solid nickel buckles and snaps. It has a variety of ways you can carry it: over the shoulder, across the chest, or as a backpack. It also comes with a changing pad and their famous "Joey Clutch," a mommy bag that is easily removable for a quick trip into a store. The Bandicoot is 14.5" wide x 11" tall x 5.5" deep, and the Joey is 10" x 6.5" x 1". (The orange dot in the picture is the removable tag.)
First Impressions:
I wasn't too picky about the color I chose (there are TONS on the website), but I went with the Eggshell/Gray, which is just beautiful! The size is great- it is basically the same size as the purse I am currently using, so that works for me, and I love the different ways you can carry it. I am not sold on the backpack-diaper-bag, but I've heard from so many that's the way to go, so I'm not ruling it out. I like that I have a choice. The Joey Clutch is cute, but WAY smaller than my purse right now...of course, I have things in my purse that might be better suited for the eventual diaper bag anyway. It's totally cute enough to take out to dinner, though, and it comes with a detachable strap!

Second Glance:
Karl and I both marveled at the construction and materials...this bag will be around for a long time!!! The bottom is studded with 4 nickel stands, so the bag stays flat for a quick baby change. We didn't like the main opening, though- it isn't a straight zipper, it dips in the front, which is nice. But the opening it creates is only 9" wide, and the main pocket is oddly small. It's only divided into 4, a large space, 1 medium side pockets, and 2 small ones. With the included changing pad, there's not much room for all the various baby stuff. There are some handy side-pockets on the outside of the bag, which would be good for bottles or food jars, though.
Conclusions
I love the look of this bag, and LOVE the durability of it! It's the perfect size, but might not offer enough storage. Of course, if I were going on some all-day-long outing, I might need a bit more than a normal diaper bag could handle anyway!

5 comments:

amandyanderson said...

yay for rating diaper bags. I think this is a cute idea, but maybe the inside is small??? I guess wouldn't really know. :) I think it would carry a few diapers and bottle and a change of pants though :) nice color.

Lisa said...

Small diaper bags are much cuter than large ones, however we found that we just couldn't fit everything we wanted into a small one! Perhaps we bring along too much but here are the things you typically will find in our diaper bag: diapers (figure at least 6 when baby is little for a 3-4 hour outing), wipes, diaper rash ointment, lotion, anti-bacterial wash for your hands, breast pads (assuming you're breast feeding), bottles, bottle liners, nipples, toys, a blanket, clean clothes (at least 2 pair for a 3-4 hour outing), baby food, spoons, bowl, snacks, kleenex, sunblock, a changing pad, and a "cooler" bag for keeping bottles cold. Ours didn't come with a "mommy bag" so I actually carry around a purse too. It is a lot to lug around which is why I love my stroller with the large carry-all basket in the bottom. The diaper bag usually hangs out there so my hands/arms remain free. Of course, when we don't take the stroller then it's a different story altogether! Good luck with the hunt -- I'm excited to see your other options!

Unknown said...

I would suggest a medium sized everyday bag and a large one for bigger excursions. Or keep all seven. Think about how many days for the rest of your life you will be leaving the house with a diaper bag. Totally justified.

Nick said...

I do like the look of this one, but size does seem to be an issue.

Mandi said...

hmmm...i actually read this review after the oi oi bag...(i know, i'm dumb to make such an extreme statement without reading all the reviews, but i really do like the look of the giraffe bag...and orange is just my favourite!) HOWEVER, if i were buying a diaper bag (which we didn't) i would get this. for a couple reasons: 1) i am a minimalist, so i don't need a big bag anyway. if i have more than i normally need, i usually have my stroller as well (because that means we're out for a bit) and i use the bottom basket or the car if we're going to be going in and out. you can also leave the just in case things--like a change of clothes for the baby and for you (don't forget that...sometimes the poo/puke sprays on you as well...)--in the car; i can count on one hand the times i've actually had to use that extra outfit for ezra in the past 8 months...maybe i was just very fortunate, though...i just don't like having a big bag because it inevitably turns into a portable trash can/storage container and i don't like carrying around large things (since i already have an 8 month old, 25 pound baby to lug around as well); i found that when i start getting into the "i better take this just in case" mode i literally start stuffing everything but the desk lamp in the freaking bag 2) i love the little mommy pouch thing 'cause that's about all i would need and it's such a clever idea!

of course, this opinion is based on my sensibilities. i also like to carry many different bags and i couldn't commit to just one so i didn't want to start down the diaper bag road because i knew it would get very ugly...so, i just used the bags i carry anyway, which works for me. however, i do have to say that every once in a while i find myself wishing for a couple compartments since the bags i carry are typically just that--bags--like plastic grocery bags--just kidding...although that is a very funny thought. have fun deciding!