Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Baby Brain

Most of you have heard of this common side effect of pregnancy, baby brain. I thought I was experiencing it early on when I was a little scattered my first trimester. HA! That was NOTHING!

Usually I function better when I have a million things to do. I know a lot of people say that flippantly, but I really mean it. If I have one thing to do all day, I am an absolute sloth. If I have 300 things to get done in an hour, they'll all be done in 56 minutes. Baby Brain hit hard last week, which was a pretty busy week, but no more than most. We hosted Third Thursdays, we were working on the Wild Goose website, my family was coming into town, it was Abbey, Nick, and Marcia's Birthday, and I was throwing an Oscar party with friends who were coming in from out of town and staying over. These are all things I LOVE, and I'm not complaining.

But my multi-tasking, organizational, event-oriented self has all but dissolved into nothingness. My usual organized brain will put things in neat categories and compare events in tidy spaces...it was all I could do to remember WHO was coming into town and that I needed to take a shower each morning! Work is the same way; I usually have 5 or 6 tasks going on my computer, spanning from Wild Goose stuff to shop things and design jobs. Now I bounce from one to another like an ADHD kid after drinking a gallon of kool-aid. Not one of them gets done, and it's impossible to even envision the end of tasks. And as far as planning and organizing events or time periods, it's just impossible!

Thank goodness for my amazing husband, who seems to always step in and take over at the perfect time, i.e., just prior to my head exploding.

(As the perfect example of baby brain, this blog post took me 3 days to finally publish!)

1 comment:

Mandi said...

you crack me up! i had no clue you were experiencing baby brain while we visited! you and nick are always gracious hosts and we had such a lovely time just getting to hang out and chill with everyone!

have a great night!