Friday, September 01, 2006

Still Saying "I Do..."


Five years ago today I married my wife at Emmanuel Christian Church in Stoneboro, Pennsylvania, in front of a crowd of friends and family. They came from all over: Pennsylvania, Michigan, Massachusetts, Oregon, Ohio… and since then they’ve spread to so many more places. We celebrated our marriage nearby with everyone at The Farm, a beautiful old piece of property with renovated barns, old farmhouses, horse pastures, and hillside views of a lake. I remember that it rained up until early Friday evening (the night before) and then cleared up into a gorgeously sunny and cool September 1st.

As I’ve told Beth repeatedly, these have been the best five years of my life, and I thank all of our friends and family members for being part of it and making it all the better. Gosh, we’ve already been through a year of living and working in Grand Rapids, then four years of grad school and two apartments in Columbus. This includes multiple jobs, plenty of national and international travel, new additions to our extended families, a church family, a loveable dog, and now good friends living next door.

Using the internet kind of highlights the idea of the world bearing witness to your actions. You can’t really say anything without everyone being able to hear, see, or respond to you. And I guess that’s a good thing – it’s a sort of accountability found in a large community.

So again, before anyone and everyone gathered at their computers, I wish my wife Beth a Happy Anniversary and thank her for five wonderful years. I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Nick

7 comments:

Beth said...

I love you, too, sweetie... :)

Mike said...

*sniff*....*sniff*....*blpblblbpblbplblblblpplpl* (nose blowing)

Happy avvinersary!!

Chip&Marcia said...

Happy Anniversery!! May your next five years be just as awsome, if not more-so than the last. We love you both!!

Katie said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! You are the BEST!

Carl Meyer said...

It is a blessing to have you as another son, Nick.
We love you both and it is great to watch you and Beth build your lifes together.
Love,
Dad and Mom

Jessie said...

Only people who know you guys as well as we do will understand this...

You guys rock.

Thursday said...

Happy Anniversary, Dekkers!