Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Silicone Hydrogel

"What's silicone hydrogel?" you ask. Well, it's the material of which my new contact lenses are made.

That's right, baby! Yesterday I visited the OSU Optometry Clinic for a long-past-due eye exam. It's been 6+ years since I last visited Dr. VanDyke in Grand Rapids, and I figured it might be good to not ruin my eyes.

I went with an open mind to experience a glasses-less life, and overall the visit was simple and painless, in part because we're not during the whole dilate-your-pupils thing until next week. The optometrist was this awesome guy named Randy - easygoing, knowledgable, and very patient in teaching me to deposit and retrieve those silicone hydrogel badboys. (Note: I've never been a big fan of deliberately putting something in my eyes.) But he seemed all excited about the durability and breathability of these contact lenses. They also correct my slight astigmatism in my right eye. I walked out of the clinic marveling at seeing the world clearly without glasses falling off my face. I immediately called Beth to brag about how daring and brave I am.

Probably the best part of the visit came towards the end of the examination, as I was putting the contacts in for the last time. Suddenly the optometrist turned to me and said, "I just have to ask... are you a Christian?" I grinned from ear to ear and told him that I'd been wanting to ask him the same thing for a while. We laughed and marveled at how awesome it is that we can recognize each other just based on our behavior and the things we say. We chatted a little more and discovered that we actually both go to Worthington Christian Church! After the appointment he introduced me to his wife who was waiting downstairs, and I vowed to find them next Sunday to introduce Beth.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Awesome, on both accounts!

Morgan said...

Were you wearing your "Stand back, I'm a Christian" shirt? That might explain it.

I went to the eye doctor back in November for the first time in a while, and getting the pupils dilated was weird. Also, it was weird when they put in eye drops that actually numb your eyes, then check the pressure. Did they do that to you? It's weird, but completely painless. Oh man, my eyes are watering now that I'm mentioning it

Nick said...

Actually, Morgan, I was wearing my "Duck! I'm About to Throw My Bible!" T-shirt. But how he guessed I was a Christian is beyond me.

Young Adults said...

FYI,
You don't HAVE to have your eyes dilated. I have a phobia about that, ever since I passed out in grade school because I thought they were going to dilate my eyes (they weren't). They dilate them to see your retinas better, but it's really not necessary, unless you have some medical problem that predisposes you to retinal problems (like diabetes or high blood pressure). I refuse everytime they want to put drops in. Just so you know that you have rights!
But congrats on the contacts! Welcome to a new world.

The Heddens said...

My concern is for your professional reputation. In some circles, contact lenses are not as distinguished as the glasses. They may not let you have the PhD without the costume. Think about it!

Jessie said...

Ah, glasseslessness!
That's really all I had to say.