Saturday, January 21, 2006

Sunday School

Nick and I were asked a while back to begin teaching the "Young Marrieds" Adult Sunday School class at our church (worthingtoncc.org). This is continuingly baffling to me, as I view ourselves as compartitively young marrieds still! However, it's been 4 1/2 years- so where's the cut off? And, though we've had our fair share of varying marriage experience with a few relocations, degrees, and time-management issues, does the lack of home ownership, kids, multiple vehicles, etc... matter in teaching others how to work through these things? I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know in a few weeks.

I'm enjoying the organization, social event planning, and community-building part of it, and Nick is excited about the teaching and lesson plans. It works out well. We're going to start with the book, The 5 Love Languages, which is good. We read it a number of years ago, and it really opened our eyes to a lot of things. I'm glad we're reading it with a group, however, because there are a few problems with the book. There are many more than 5 Love Languages, and the book certaintly doesn't do anything to break down gender stereotypes (it automatically assumes all men are horny all the time and cannot function without a woman, and that all women need to be told they're beautiful 300 times a day for them to go on living...), but it begins the discussion that there is a whole different set of vocab for different people, and that is the important part.

So, wish us luck! We're excited about it and feel really called to teach this group. We'll keep you updated! And, for those of you who are planning on moving to Columbus, we'll save you a few seats!

3 comments:

Thursday said...

I have often wrestled with how much you can speak to issues you haven't experienced. On the whole, since I believe God gives wisdom through His Word, and that experience only fleshes out your understanding of the Word received, I think we are qualified to speak on matters we haven't experienced. Of course, we must be especially careful with humility in these situations, and willing to listen to those who have had the experience.

This comment is getting confused and rambly, so I'm going to stop. It sounds like an interesting class, and I'm sure you'll be great leaders. :)

Jessie said...

That is great. I liked what Suzanne had to say about wisdom--I think that's really important. I also think that despite the issue of experience, the issue of being good teachers or facilitators is important as well. It requires a good kind of wisdom and discernment and teachability that is unique.

Looking forward to the class... :)

Morgan said...

4 1/2 years!!!?! Wow. I feel remarkably old now.