Saturday, January 21, 2006

The 2 'D's' of Dodgeball: Dekker and Dekker

So, Nick and I have recently added one of the strangest skills to our resume: Dodgeball Officials. My boss recently offered this strangely high-paying gig for our Friday night Life Time Fitness Adult Dodgeball league to Nick and I, and we eagerly accepted! I mean, who wouldn't?!

Now, I use the word "adult" loosely. The individuals who form the highly competitive teams that we have the pleasure of organizing may resemble the advanced version of the species homo sapiens, but in no way do their actions or manners reflect their supposed age.

I have often said, having directed children, teenagers, college students, and adults, that adults are the most difficult to control. This league perfectly demonstrates this fact. These (mostly) men, are some of the most out-of-control petty whiners I have ever come in contact with! Last night, even after my nightly speech of "It's just a game...chill out," we had people disputing calls, yelling at us, calling us names...it was just thrilling.

Overall, however, it's a pretty fun time. I mean, watching grown men dive to the floor to avoid a ball just never gets old for me. And we get loud whistles. And hand signals. I couldn't ask for anything more on a Friday night!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Wow, what an immensely strange, but cool sounding job.