Sunday, October 16, 2005

Photoshop Honors

There is nothing in this world that frustrates, tickles, infuriates, and surprises me like Adobe Photoshop. For those of you who have used this program, and I mean really used this program, you know what I mean. You can do amazing things with Photoshop, if you know how to use it. Aye, there's the rub. If you know how to use it. It has taken me 5 years-yes, FIVE YEARS- to get to the point for me to say "Yep, I can use Photoshop." Here is something I'm most proud of-

In May, my Grammie turned 80. She is a wonderful woman of God, and I was excited to hear the family decided to throw her a large party. My mom wanted to honor her in some tangible way, with a gift or a plaque. She mentioned that there was a movie in the 70's called The Coalminer's Daughter, one of which my grandmother is. Here is the original poster of the movie:

My grandmother was a WAC (Women's Army Core), which is where she met my Pop-Pop, who was a Military Policeman. Here is her Army picture:

So, I recreated the poster using Photoshop. If you click on it, you can see that even down to the "rating" of the movie is personalized to my grandmother. I think she really loved it- I'm so glad it turned out well!

Now, this month, my Pop-Pop turns 80! So, the fam wanted something to honor him as well. This is his MP picture- isn't he handsome?!:

But, there was a bit of a problem. There is a severe lack of 1950's MP movies, and that's what I wanted. So, I sort of invented one..."Our Singing Sergeant." You see, my pop-pop was part of the "Singing Sergeant" group while he was in the service. But I needed a tagline. My mom tells the story that when Grammie wanted something to be fixed around the house, my Pop retorted with "I'm not a fixer-upper, I'm a lover!" So, add your own plot, but it sure has a happy ending!

4 comments:

Thursday said...

Wow! Those are great! And I'm not even family! There's no way that it would be possible for people who are actually in your family NOT to love them!

The Heddens said...

What an awesome gift! I'd say 5 years of training was well worth it.

Beth said...

Alas, Jason...I wish it had been actual "training." Instead, learning Photoshop took me through 3 computers, 100's of "Let's just walk away...s" and a draining of every shred of patience I thought I had...which isn't much. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.