Sunday, May 03, 2009

Flowering Fountain

Many of you may remember that about this time last year, I was in the throes of pregnancy hormones, nesting, and seeing my house in the Spring for the first time. We had lived in it for about a year, and had been very used to the two boxy hedges in front of the house. However, when all the beautiful neighborhood trees and bushes had begun to flower I was particuarily drawn to some white ones I saw all over the place, fountaining in tiny little dainty flowers from a million points on the bush. Taking a closer look at the sad razor-clipped bushes in the front of my house, I discovered, to my abject delight and horror, that the two hedges were actually a stunningly beautiful bush called Bridal Veil Spirea, and that chopping them neatly actually STUNTED THEIR FLOWERING. Let's just say, they didn't see another clipping for one long year.

Nick thought I was crazy, but I don't have to say that it was well worth it! These bushes are beautiful and giant and flowering like CRAZY and I am loving every moment of it!!! It was DEFINITELY worth the wait!


If you'd like to come by and see them yourselves, let me know - I'll most likely be on the porch staring at them as well! I'll make you some lemonade!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Breathtaking!

Thursday said...

Wow, what a change! And all you had to do to get them to be beautiful was step back and wait...how poetic....

Katelyn said...

Just stunning!

Kimberlee said...

laugh! i LOVE it when life surprises you like that! these are gorgeous, beth. i just might have to plant some in my yard in honor of our favorite dekkers...

Mandi said...

holy smokes! congrats! they are awesome!

Dominique said...

Your house looks beautiful! So glad you let the bushes go.