Thursday, November 20, 2008

Connect

In this day and age, it's not hard to be connected. I mean, with IM, Facebook, Blogs, websites, email...it's actually hard to lose touch. It still happens, to be sure, but you almost have to want it.

Maybe it's just me, though, but I LOVE reading the status updates on Facebook, and I LOVE checking people's blogs. I think it's great that at a click of a mouse, I can chat with a bunch of my friends, either to get some work done or just to check in. I can understand how this uber-connectedness might overwhelm some people - not only do they feel forced to connect, overwhelmed with the avenues with which to connect, but also guilty when they don't connect.

When did this happen though? When did I start feeling terrible if I don't respond to an email within 20 seconds of receiving it, or returning a phone call within a few minutes because it went to voicemail before I could race to the phone? I suppose it was a gradual increase, but it feels like it happened overnight. But all those little bits of information, statuses, chats, emails, actually make it feel a little less crazy and a little more human, oddly enough.

I don't think I'm addicted to technology (though my iPhone might tell you differently), and I truly enjoy using it to be efficient with my time and energy. All those little things I'm able to get done during the day allows me to spend my free time with Will and Nick. And, really, that's the most important connection I make during the day.

No comments: