Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike Hits Columbus

I know that the damage in Columbus left by the windstorms on Sunday doesn't compare to what is happening on the gulf coast, but I had to show pictures of a bit what we're seeing here. There are still about 250,000 people without power here in Columbus, and the debris and trees are slowly being cleaned off the roads and yards. Small-town girl that I am, I see one big bonfire as a perfect solution to all of this fallen lumber!

Ike hit us on Sunday and lasted about 6 hours and what is being described as a "dry hurricane" by some. Winds gusted upwards of 70 mph (categorized as hurricane-force winds) and took down giant trees and power lines across the state. The picture above was taken just near where Nick and I used to live - you can see the tree is laying on the power lines. I took this on Wednesday.

The picture above is a house 1 block from us. Some of you might recognize this house as the one Nick and I were originally looking at to buy! Thank you, God! Power was restored in our neighborhood last night at 8 p.m., after 3 days without power. We lost the contents of our fridge and freezer, but our chest freezer (READ: strawberry jam!) was OK!


Maeby, on the other hand, is LOVING the fact that there are sticks on the ground everywhere! She almost looks a little overwhelmed at times. I took her for a walk in the ravine 1 block from our house today, and she just kept running all over, picking sticks up only to find a better one 2 feet away. The pictures above and below are from the ravine.

Strangely enough, it has been and looks like it will continue to be a stunningly beautiful fall week! I'm sure it's helping with the clean up and power restoration, though.

4 comments:

Rascal7276 said...

I hope yall are recovering well.
The devastation from the hurricane is so sad.
Praying for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I like you people's blogging, very nice!

Rebecca said...

At least you don't have to worry about excessive heat or cold this week!

Kurt said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing well. Although I do feel sorry for the people who own the house that you were looking at before, I'm so happy for you that you avoided that fiasco. That tree added so much to that property.

Oh, and shame on me for not typing the most important part of this comment first. THANK GOODNESS THE FREEZER JAM LIVES ON!!!

Love you guys and see you in a few weeks!