Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Outlaw Gardener

Nick and I have been wanting to start a compost pile for a while, and even more now than ever after reading pages upon pages of research of the eternal cloth vs. disposable diaper debate. (Which I am not even going to get into on this blog because I know how controversial that topic is.) With the way landfills are being built right now (with no leakage/drainage), even grass clippings thrown into the trash take forever to decompose, so why not put the good stuff to good use? We knew we'd get one right away when we bought a house. I did some research and bought one made from recycled plastic on ebay. It was super easy to put together, and holds 12 cubic feet of compost materials.

As soon as it arrived, I happily assembled it and started layering dry leaves, some grass clippings and food scraps, all according to some great websites I've found. I've adjusted the percentages of nitrogen vs. carbon materials, and added water and soil at the right times of day...it's a lot like having a giant science experiment in the backyard! I am really enjoying it for some reason, and between composting and recycling, we've been able to cut down our garbage at least 50% so far. It's actually made me add more fruits and vegetables to our daily meals, just so I can add the scraps to the compost!

However, my compost bliss lasted until I found out on ColumbusUnderground.com that composting within the Columbus city limits is illegal! In fact, per Columbus City Ordinance:

707.03 Standards relative to solid waste.
...
(G) No person shall deposit or allow to accumulate in any building, premise, yard, court, lot, street, alley, sidewalk, easement or any other place, except in authorized receptacles, any substance, solid, semi-solid or liquid, or animal, vegetable or mineral origin, that by its decay, decomposition, chemical action or by becoming a harbor for animal or insect pests, would become an unsanitary condition.
(Ord. 858-01 §§ 1 (part), 5 (part).

It would appear that they are mostly concerned that a compost pile would attract rodents. What is strange is that you might think that "authorized receptacles" might ease the burden against compost bins, but a call to the city assured me that no food scraps were allowed to be collected, no matter the container. (These anti-composting sentiments, of course, fly in the face of Columbus' Green City efforts.)

You may think this made me think twice about keeping my inner-city compost bin, but NO! Now I dream of the day where the fuzz bursts into my backyard and attempts to confiscate the 140 degree decomposing plant matter as I chain myself to my compost bin, reciting various passages from the Constitution and/or the EPA handbook. GIVE ME COMPOST OR GIVE ME DEATH!

I'm pretty sure the City of Columbus has bigger things to focus on...actually, I PRAY they do! But it's fun to dream.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds to me like you've got the makings of a movement on your hands. Gather the troops -- it's time to storm the capital! Equal compost access for all!

Unknown said...

My Uncle Rick has had some problems with the city of Grand Rapids with this type of thing. They have shown up at his house if they get a complaint but I am pretty sure his complaints stemmed from the chicken crowing in the backyard.

Mandi said...

HILARIOUS! i was glad to read in the end that you are still doing it! the whole time i'm thinking "screw the man! compost, beth, compost!" your new little baby d needs to learn how to stick it to the man and who better to learn it from than his parents! AWESOME! can't wait to see you sunday!