Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How are YOU doing?

Contrary to popular belief, there have been many cool things about being pregnant so far: an excuse to sleep in, an especially cuddly pooch, tiny baby gifts...the list goes on! But one of my favorite things is the new importance placed on the question, "How are you doing?"

Usually used as a deflection or small talk, this simple phrase is no longer without meaning. I get asked this a lot, and each time, it means more to me than the time before...because people REALLY mean it when you're pregnant. They are genuinely concerned about my and Baby D's well being! It's really quite honoring! And I've noticed (or maybe I'm ignoring the "don't you know what small talk is" signs...) that people want to hear an actual answer. Now, I'm not sure they'd want to hear any gruesome details, but I haven't really had any so far! I've been blessed by a very mild pregnancy and have no complaints so far!

So, if you know any pregnant women, be sure to ask them how they're doing, and mean it! It will make their day! And, if you've asked me, thanks! It made mine!

No comments: