Saturday, October 21, 2006

A bit of autumn gardening...

I cleaned up some our plants for the winter this afternoon, trimming back day lilies and grasses, moving the jade plant inside, and cutting down the morning glories. The morning glories had taken over both sides of the porch. They wrapped around some of the day lilies, the downspout, the roof. I even had to cut free my bike from time to time. Once they were all cut down, I marveled at the huge pile of morning glory and how it had grown out of a pile of seeds that could easily fit in the palm of your hand.


Earlier in the season, as they slowly climbed the lower lattice-work on the porch, Beth and I feared that they would die there like last year. However, during one clean-up day, we discovered that they were actually growing under the porch itself. After Beth pulled them out from under the porch and trained them up the railings, they sprang to life again. Beth observed at the time: "There has to be a sermon illustration in this."

As I pulled down one of the banks of morning glories, this little buddy fell out. I thought he was a heavy leaf at first, until he started climbing back up the railing. I'm guessing he measured 4-5 inches long. I haven't named him yet.

No comments: