Saturday, December 31, 2005

Christmas Cookies

So we made some cookies this Christmas. Sugar cookies. Now, everyone in my family knows that the perfect Sugar Cookie has been my Holy Grail for a number of years now. I have tried a different recipie each year for the past five years, all with varying degrees of success. But they all fell short of the texture, taste, and decoratability that I had in my head. Until Becky and Jason Hedden blessed us with their recipie. Now, THIS was a Sugar Cookie. Creamy, flaky, not too sweet, and so easy to cut into shapes and decorate. Of course, leave it to my family to take decorating to the next, disturbing, level.

The cookie on the left is Winnie the Pooh, clearly recognizable by his jovial, yet curious, grin, and crimson top. The one on the left is my father's interpretation of what Pooh would look like were he on fire. Please note the toothpick splint where Pooh lost his leg in the blaze and my father (yes, a doctor) retrieved and re-attached the severed limb.

Now this cookie may look like a simple rabid Polar Bear, but those of you who are Lost fans will note the difference. What is it? The bleeding bullet wound where Sawyer shot the approaching beast in Lost: Season 1, thus saving the hunting group. My question is why didn't they have bear steaks that night...but we may never know.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow. I barely have the energy to make toll house cookies out of a tube.

The Heddens said...

Glad the cookie recipe was a hit! I dont quite know how to tell you this, but it turns out the recipe was not only a family tradition but also a closely guarded goverment top secret recipe. The good news is you can keep the recipe---the bad news is you have seen my face and I will have to kill you both. We'll keep the dog!
By the way, is that a canned frosting I see in those pictures? Please tell me that my eyes deceive me. Happy New year!

Beth said...

CANNED FROSTING? We used your recipie and powdered food coloring to get the dense color.

I just...don't know what to say...Jason...I thought you knew me better...you know, just take the dog...there's no reason to live now...

:)

The Heddens said...

we're sorry we doubted you. it was a lapse in judgement. see, this is what happens when jason has too much vacation time. :)

becky