Monday, November 07, 2005

Attacks with roast pork...

So, many of you know that I have a great deal of respect for winemaking and winemakers. Nick and I are absolutely facinated by this ancient art that has spanned time, countries, and beliefs. We love that winemaking is, at its core, a community art that takes decades, and even years to perfect and is ALWAYS evolving, even as the bottle of wine evolves. And we also love that small-scale winemaking is rarely about the alcohol, drunkenness, or the amount you can drink through a keg while standing on your head, but is about that one taste that speaks of centuries of work. And, when you taste something that complex and that intriguing, you know that the next sip won't be the same, and if you have it again next month it won't be the same. So, sometimes, just one sip is enough. Which is what makes it so special.



We spent 5 days in Napa and Sonoma Valley with Kim and Kurt last spring, and had just a glorious time. I discovered that I have a pretty sensitive pallete when, paired with my outspoken nature, can result in some fairly humorous moments of me expelling a mouthful into the "excess wine pitcher" as the sommelier (wine expert) waxed poetic about the nutty vanilla of this or that.



One of the best things about wineophiles is the plethora of words they've seemingly invented to describe wine- check out this tasting notes generaor and describe some wine of your own!

http://www.gmon.com/tech/stng.shtml

And, do try the Elegant and over-ripe Cabernet. Attacks with roast pork, zelous fois gras and dainty green tea. Drink now through when the cows come home.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I love wine, and I've always thought it would be a really fun hobby to start since seeing Sideways (though I don't have the money) but I have discovered that I have no pallet for it. Franzia box wine tastes as good as expensive wine to me. And I like all wine chilled, I don't care if red is "supposed" to be served at room temperature.

I think my favorite is Cabernet almost matured and musty Syrah. Contains cottage cheese, aggressive clam chowder and scant lemonaide. Drink now through 2009.

Jessie said...

Last spring Karl and I started drinking a bottle of wine a week, on Wednesdays (because why not?) but that lovely cultured habit had to disappear with the Summer Budget Crunch. We get a bottle occasionally, though, and we cheesily write it down in a wine log that we got as a gift. We have no idea what to say about the notes, but we make it up.

If you're feeling sassy, I encourage you to try with caution the almost matured and attractive Cabernet Franc. Forcefully bites you with dirt, oily stewed prune and lingering smoked bacon. Drink now through 2004.

(Maybe the fact that it's past due is why those prune-y levels of flavors have gotten so oily.)